Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pods for people

In searching for podcasts, I enjoyed the librarian's discussions in Thinking out Loud. In What's in a Name, George and Joan discussed the use of the word patron, more generally used in context of Patron of the Art and patronizing a bar, but let's not get too patronizing about use of language. With alternatives of civilian, guest and constituent, I think I'd still opt for member, which implies responsibility and sharing.
Spending home time completing these tasks, I have enjoyed podcasts and listening to library related discussions while renaming reorganizing photos etc. Rather like radio, it's possible to do other things at the same time.
I also listened to the British Library's explanation of contents of Evelyn Waugh CD and enjoyed the author's perspective on archiving their documents in Manuscripts Matter. The pod itself is valuable archival material. I have favourite ABC pods such as the Science Show and Life Matters. That's why I prefer the A-Z program search to subject.
Not an original idea, but I really like the idea of libraries having podcasts of fables and short stories for children. There is much emphasis on multi media and toys that flash and create sounds. Let's use podcasts to bring back to children the quiet of listening and the cadences of the human voice. A list of podcasts gives them choice, they develop the skills to access the medium, and then they can shut their eyes and just listen......... or will they feel a need to play a game of solitaire at the same time.

1 comment:

MyLibraryBlog said...

Found this most excellent websites when looking at podcasts. I thought you might enjoy looking at it too.

http://www.expandedbooks.com/index.php

Nat