Sunday, May 18, 2008

Social Networks

Social networks on the web - yet another chance for social people to be social. I don't see a need for libraries as institutions to join social networking sites and thought it unnecessary to use the British Library site to say "meet you at the library at 10.00". If individuals choose to use MySpace etc as social networking vehicles, this is individual choice. It may be used as a marketing tool with the individual giving a link to their library, blogging / chatting on issues etc. The individual has the time, opportunity and interest to do this. There are many ways to contact librarians, libraries and professional bodies online - doing this course has exposed us to endless library sites, discussions, people - ways for librarians to share ideas online and peruse what others in the profession are doing. Bit exhausting to think of setting up an Avatar and heading off to Second Life to talk libraries. I haven't got my head around everything in First Life yet. 
I was impressed though that MOCA had over 10,000 friends. If I had 10,000 new friends I'd be a little overwhelmed. When new sites go up, they are visited. That sensible article reminded us (Sydney Observatory Blogger etc,) "The days of upload and leave are over." Library Managers need to consider staff hours allocated if "ongoing participation" (staff time) is required. The staff is needed before the hits and queries and new friends start rolling in. 
BUT, far be it from me to be a wet blanket. If you want to get involved in social networking, why not. Now that I'm at Week 12 I'll spend more time reading and exploring alternate ideas as I know I've lots to learn. Great course, yeah Commoncraft for making new info easy and palatable, go libraries!! Time to escape into a book.

No comments: